The mission of Athena RC is to conduct outstanding research in Informatics and Computational Sciences and to ensure this research has an impact on society, especially regarding local needs.
Athena RC studies a broad spectrum of research issues within these fields, including some raised by other sciences, industrial applications, or societal challenges. Together with research, innovation is also a fundamental pillar of the mission of Athena RC. Research institutes, spin-off companies, and three highly-specialised clusters in knowledge-intensive thematic sectors (nano/microelectronics-based systems and applications, space technologies and applications and gaming and creative technologies and applications) create a fertile technological innovation ecosystem within the Center, with mutually beneficial collaborations between its members and systematic efforts to bring to market any research results with such potential.
The vision of Athena RC is to serve the full spectrum of the research lifecycle, starting from basic and applied research, continuing on to system & product building and infrastructure service provision, and ending with technology transfer and entrepreneurship. The fundamental role of Athena RC is to build knowledge and devise solutions and technologies for the digital society. Its value lies in the unique collection of skills and know-how of its researchers and professional staff and its national and international reputation.
The overall strategy of Athena RC and the research values it is based on are highlighted below:
- A research plan targeting fundamental and applied challenges with high potential impact, aiming at high-quality, novel, and deep results, and putting emphasis on interdisciplinary work, with informatics at the core of synergies with other sciences
- A technology transfer plan with a global focus and additional attention to the Greek environment
- A young researcher development plan based on identifying and supporting original talent
- A strategic co-operations plan aiming at key industrial companies, governmental agencies, regional authorities, and international research and higher-education organisations
- An educational plan targeting creation and participation in local and international graduate programs
A European and international actor, Athena RC operates in three cities (Athens, Patras and Xanthi) and implements its research and innovation strategy through its research institutes and units, positioning itself as an actor in and partner of the regional plans conducted by political, academic, economic and societal entities.
The scope of activities of ATHENA R.C. includes all Information and Communication Technologies, from the perspective of both Computer Science and Computational Science, and covering all software and hardware aspects. These include all areas of informatics / computer science, automation, robotics, signal processing, artificial intelligence, networking and digital communication, modelling, and simulation. Furthermore, research and development are carried out both at the level of information technology itself and at the level of specific applications. In particular, computational sciences form a strong component of the activities of ATHENA R.C., including but not limited to computational linguistics, archaeology, engineering, medicine, biology, biodiversity, earth observation, space science, mechanics, and the arts.
The key personnel of Athena RC (55 permanent senior and junior research staff and 330 research associates and assistants) have a long and pertinent experience in participating in and leading EU projects (more than 180 national and European projects in the last 5 years).
Athena RC is organized into Institutes and Units, which are active in different aspects of information and communication technologies. Currently, it comprises three Institutes:
- The Institute for Language and Speech Processing (ILSP), a centre of excellence in interdisciplinary research in language, cultural and educational technologies
- The Industrial Systems Institute (ISI), a leader in industrial systems technologies R&D covering the entire spectrum of Greek industry's ICT needs
- The Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS), the sole Institute in Greece specializing in data management and scalable analytics
These Institutes are complemented by research Units which bring together skills central to particular areas of computer or computational sciences:
- The Hellenic Technology Cluster Initiative (Corallia), the first organisation established in Greece for the structured and systematic management and development of innovation clusters.
- The Space Programmes Unit (SPU), aiming to foster the participation of Greece in the European Space Agency (ESA) and advance the use of leading-edge technologies in space engineering and science.
- The Robot Perception and Interaction Unit (RPI), with a goal to advance and sustain research in the intersection of robotics, informatics, communications, and cognitive systems.
- The Environmental and Networking Technologies and Applications Unit (ENTA), dedicated to promoting fundamental and applied research in all aspects of the contemporary environmental and networking problems, such as climate change and space networking.
- The Pharma-Informatics Unit, focusing on all the computational work (modeling and simulation) involved in the stages of discovery-development and application of pharmaceutical products into clinical practice.
Administrative business is done through the specialized personnel of the Central Administration.
Athena RC has a longstanding and continuously evolving ISO 9001:2008 certification in the fields of Project Management, Software Development and 3D Digitisation Services Provision.